Ragnit Castle in the Kaliningrad Region
Ragnit Castle in the Kaliningrad Region – Order Castle of the XIV-XV centuries. The erection of the stone castle Ragnit began after the devastating foray of the Lithuanian army led by Prince Keystutis in 1365. Conrad Zoelner von Rottenstein supervised the construction. The castle walls were erected from 1399 to 1403 under the direction of Daihgraf Wolprecht from Wernersdorf. On December 1, 1403, the great master of the Teutonic Order, Conrad von Jungenen, and the order brother, Jorgen Beschyden, finally agreed on the blueprints of the castle’s interior. The general construction of the castle Ragnit was completed by 1409.
- Address: Kaliningrad Region, Neman District, Neman City, Victory
- Coordinates: 55 ° 2’20 “(55.039007) N, 22 ° 1’47” (22.029886) E.
History of Ragnit Castle
Since 1825, a prison was located in Ragnit castle, in which in 1829 there was a severe fire. After the completion of the restoration work from 1839, the Ragnit castle was located in the city and district court, since 1849 – the military tribunal, since 1879 – the administrative court.
In 1976, during the filming of the film Twenty Days Without War, Ragnit Castle, which survived many wars and natural disasters, was turned into ruins by the specialists of the Lenfilm studio.
By the Decree of the Government of the Kaliningrad region dated March 23, 2007 No. 132, the ruins of the Ragnit castle received the status of a cultural heritage site of regional significance.
By the decision of the Kaliningrad Regional Duma of November 2010, the ruins of Ragnit Castle together with the land plot were transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Abandoned castle Ragnit | Photos