The abandoned castle Chateau Miranda
Miranda castle (the French name is Chateau Miranda), also known as Noisy castle (the French name is Chateau de Noisy). A castle of the 19th century, located in Belgium (Namur Province, Selles settlement). The castle was built by an English architect in 1866 for the family of Count Liedekerke-Beaufort. The family lived there until World War II, after which the castle was bought by the Belgian railway company. The Château de Noisy has been abandoned since 1991, in part because the family refuses to transfer it to the municipality of Sel.
Recently, the castle functioned as a children’s camp and was finally abandoned in 1991.
This, Chateau de Veves, a feudal castle-fortress is a local pride. It was stormed only once during its entire existence. The Veves castle dates back to 685, when the first primitive defensive structure was built here. Later, in 1230-m, the then ruler Pepijn Herstal upgraded the design. So, no longer relevant at the time, “sturdy stone barn” has found high steep walls, observation towers at the corners and a circumferential ditch.
In 1410 the castle was taken by storm and partially destroyed by Dinant troops, but was quickly restored. Its tall, thick walls and narrow round towers with loopholes were designed for long-term defense.
Well, in the 18th century, the French King Louis XV fitted the appearance of the castle Veves under, then the trendy, renaissance style in which it remains to this day.
Currently, inside the castle are rooms and halls – museums with an interior of the times of Louis XV and XVI, the ancient property of the last owner of the castle, the Count Liedekerke-Beaufort, a weapons room, a luxurious living room, a chapel for prayers, a bedroom and many others.
Once it all looked chic, and now it’s even painful to look at. The facade of the building was also a sad sight. The wretchedness and devastation of the once great grandeur made you sad. But the neighboring castle Veves and this castle Noisy – one master. This is the ancestor of the Liedekerke-Beaufort family. At the moment, this strange gentleman lives in France and persistently refuses to sell the castle to the Dinant authorities for his subsequent restoration and protection. Meanwhile, the top floor Noisy and several stairwells completely collapsed. All 500 windows of the castle are broken. A unique “stucco” is broken off and taken away to homes, and the castle itself became a shelter for all “bomzhatins.”
The history of this young castle is short, but interesting.
The Liedekerke-Beaufort family lived for centuries in the neighboring castle Veves. In 1886, it was decided to build a residence on the neighboring mountain for summer holidays. The English architect Milner received the building order. He shook his brains – ah, to walk so walk! and sketched a whole castle in the project. Everyone liked it. Thus, the castle Miranda (Chateau Miranda) was born.
Later, it was called Noisy (in our time both names are used, although more often still Noisy). During the French Revolution, the family left Chateau Veves and moved to live in Noisy.
In the new place, the family decided to “drop anchor” and do not move anywhere else. Long and happily lived members of Liedekerke-Beaufort in the castle until the end of the Second World War, and how the war ended, moved to France for permanent residence. Chateau de Noisy decided to rent out (merchants ?!). So, after the war, an orphanage opened here, and afterwards there was a headquarters for local boy scouts. Since 1991, Miranda Castle – Noisy is empty …
Abandoned Chateau Miranda Castle | Photos